*******************************************************

Thursday, May 5, 2011

We interrupt.....

     Here in the middle of my telling, I am going to squeeze in a little real world example of why I am a closet Mennonite.  I definitely, partially, semi, lean toward noncombatant. What brought this to light recently was the death of a man who brought evil to most of the world, but who was still a child of God, Osama bin Laden. 


     Growing up in an NRA-belonging, gun-toting, protect-it-if-it's-your's family that has served in all four branches of the US military, you can see my dilemma.  The worst part is the constant battle in myself over my beliefs.  I still believe that if someone were hurting someone I love I would absolutely go all kinds of crazy on their head.  That is decidedly NOT anabaptist.  But I am so disturbed by rejoicing over the gruesome death of even a terrorist.  


     I have always been a believer in capital punishment....it's scriptural, right?  But doesn't that come from before Jesus came and changed the standard by which we are to live?  How can I reconcile the war within myself?


    

No comments:

Post a Comment