*******************************************************

Monday, April 18, 2011

Where to Begin?

     I am starting this brand new blog in an effort to put into words some of the crazy things that have been floating around in my head for the majority of my life.  I am still uncertain where to begin. I suppose that is why its been in the works for weeks and there are still no real posts.  What seems to be the best course of action, then, is to start putting thoughts into print and just anticipate many edits.  While I do hope it is a look into "me" for you, more than anything I am really more interested in figuring out "me" for myself!


HOWEVER, I want to start with a question for YOU, whomever you may be.  What do you think a Mennonite is?

5 comments:

  1. Most folks think of Mennonites as "Amish Light", tucked away in isolated communities, just not as rabidly disconnected from modern society. Having been friends with families that are either from the Mennonite tradition or pursuing it, I can offer my first hand observations.

    The Mennonite tradition places a high value in the Word of God. The instructions therein as they apply to Christian living are to be taken literally today rather than dismissed as merely cultural. Some Mennonite women, for instance, cover their hair as directed in 1 Corinthians 11. They place a high value on marriage, modesty, friendship, self-sufficiency, and sacrifice. The self-sufficiency aspect is what I think causes confusion with the Amish. The Mennonites I've known will take full advantage of available technology, but they make it work for them rather than the other way around.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is pretty accurate:)
    I would like to add to Darrin's description that though we do believe that we need to be IN the world we strive to "be not OF the world".

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wasn't going to comment but I just have to! What Lori said about IN the world not OF it is two things, it's the biggest reason I struggle so much with my closet Mennonite-ness and it's the biggest reason the Amish split off from the Mennonite many moons ago.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You said for me, Cara. When others think the choices my family makes are 'otherworldly,' they're RIGHT. We are trying to be in the world and not of it. Looks strange to many.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The first thing that comes to mind when you ask "What do you think a Mennonite is?" is: Oh those are the ones with the cute little hats. And tennis shoes with dresses.

    I am lame. I'm sorry.

    I do think the 'In the world, not of the world' is what comes to mind next though. ;)

    ReplyDelete